Life can get pretty overwhelming at times, and it’s important to take care of ourselves when everything feels like it’s piling up.
That’s why I’m here to share some practical strategies to help you calm yourself down and find some much-needed peace amidst the chaos. Mindful parenting and being a parent or caregiver in general is difficult work much of the time.
Try your best to make it a point to establish some go-to rituals for calming yourself down when the anxiety hits. Forgive yourself for not being able to hold the weight of the world. You wouldn’t expect that of your child, would you? Allow yourself to recollect yourself and have a break; some rest from all your work when possible.
These techniques can make a real difference in managing overwhelming emotions and promoting overall well-being.
Listen to Calming Music
- Listen to lofi music: Put on some soothing lofi beats and let the calming melodies wash over you. The gentle rhythms and relaxing tunes can work wonders in reducing stress and creating a tranquil ambiance.
Engage in Physical Activities
- Go for a walk: Lace up your shoes and step outside for a refreshing walk. The change of scenery and the simple act of moving your body can do wonders for clearing your mind and finding some inner peace.
- Journal or write about the situation: Grab a pen and paper or open up a document on your computer. Take a moment to pour out your thoughts and emotions onto the page. Whether it’s creative writing or personal narrative-style journaling, the act of writing can be incredibly cathartic and help lift the weight off your shoulders.
Seek Support from Others
- Call a friend: Reach out to a trusted friend who can lend a listening ear. Sometimes, just talking things through with someone who cares can provide the comfort and support you need.
- Voice message a friend: If the thought of a phone call feels a bit overwhelming, try sending a voice message instead. It’s a more relaxed way to connect and share your thoughts and feelings.
- Record yourself talking about the situation: Grab your phone or a voice recorder and let it all out. Speak your mind, vent, or simply express how you’re feeling. Sometimes, giving voice to your emotions can be incredibly therapeutic.
Connect with Nature
- Watch a nature documentary: Immerse yourself in the beauty of nature, even from the comfort of your couch. A captivating nature documentary can transport you to serene landscapes and help shift your focus away from overwhelming thoughts.
- Go for a walk or hike in a safe area: If you have access to an area where you can go for a walk or experience a hike, (however long or short) do it. Time spent in nature is rarely wasted. Be as present as possible and try to notice more than you usually would while walking outside.
Engage in Reading
- Read a book: Escape into the pages of a good book. Whether it’s a thrilling novel or a calming self-help book, reading can offer a much-needed break from reality and provide a sense of relaxation.
- Listen to an audiobook: If reading feels like too much effort, try listening to an audiobook instead. Let the narrator’s voice transport you into a different world and allow yourself to be swept away by a captivating story.
- Engage in deep breathing exercises: Take a moment to focus on your breath. Inhale deeply, hold it for a few seconds, and then exhale slowly. Deep breathing is a simple yet effective way to ground yourself in the present moment and find calm amidst the chaos.
- Try a guided meditation: Explore the world of guided meditation, where a soothing voice gently leads you through a relaxation journey. There are plenty of meditation apps and online resources available to help you get started.
Engage in Creative Activities
- Create art: Let your creative juices flow! Pick up a paintbrush, sketchpad, or any artistic medium that resonates with you. Engaging in creative activities allows for self-expression and can be a wonderful outlet for stress relief.
- Listen to or play calming music: Music has a way of soothing the soul. Put on some calming tunes or try playing a musical instrument yourself. Let the melodies wash over you and carry you to a place of tranquility.
- Take a warm bath or shower: Treat yourself to a relaxing bath or shower. The warm water can help melt away tension and provide a soothing escape from the chaos of everyday life.
- Practice aromatherapy: Light a scented candle or use essential oils to create a calming atmosphere. Scents like lavender, chamomile, or citrus can work wonders in promoting relaxation and easing stress.
- Practice progressive muscle relaxation: Take a moment to focus on each muscle group in your body, starting from your toes and working your way up. Tense and then release each muscle group, allowing them to relax and unwind.
- Use a weighted blanket or wrap yourself in a cozy blanket: Snuggle up under a cozy blanket or try using a weighted one. The comforting sensation can help you feel safe, secure, and promote a sense of relaxation.
A note on hyper-capitalistic self-care trends
In recent years, self-care has gained significant popularity, with countless suggestions flooding social media platforms.
Sometimes, the self-care suggestions we see on social media can feel a little too “me” focused or driven by consumerism. It’s essential to remember that self-care goes beyond materialistic indulgences.
This journey is about nurturing your body, mind, soul, and connecting with loved ones. It’s about finding what truly nourishes and replenishes you on a deeper level.
Remember, you are not alone in feeling overwhelmed.
Reach out for support, engage in activities that bring you joy, and prioritize meaningful connections with your loved ones.
Your well-being matters, and taking care of yourself is a vital step towards finding the calm and balance you deserve.
Here are some alternative approaches to self-care that prioritize holistic well-being:
- Nurture the Body: Engage in activities that prioritize physical well-being but go beyond materialistic indulgences. This could include preparing a nutritious meal, engaging in gentle exercise or yoga, or simply taking a moment to rest and listen to what your body truly needs.
- Cultivate the Mind: Instead of mindlessly scrolling through social media, engage in activities that stimulate the mind and promote growth. This could involve reading a thought-provoking book, learning a new skill or hobby, or engaging in creative pursuits that challenge your thinking.
- Nourish the Soul: Take time to connect with your inner self and explore activities that bring you joy and fulfillment. This could involve practicing meditation or mindfulness, spending time in nature, journaling, or engaging in spiritual practices that resonate with you.
- Connect with Loved Ones: Foster meaningful connections with your loved ones as an integral part of self-care. Engage in deep conversations, spend quality time together, or simply reach out and express your love and appreciation for those who are important to you.
Remember, self-care is not a one-size-fits-all concept. It’s a deeply personal and individualized practice that should align with your values, needs, and desires.
Embrace what truly nourishes and replenishes you, even if it diverges from the mainstream notions of self-care.
In the midst of overwhelming moments, finding calm and regaining control is possible. By exploring these 19 strategies, you can discover what works best for you in those challenging times. Remember, self-care is a personal journey, and it’s all about finding what brings you peace and relaxation.
So go ahead and give these techniques a try, and may you find solace and tranquility in the midst of life’s chaos.
What techniques do you use to stay calm or ground yourself during times of emotional turmoil? Share your thoughts by commenting – you never know who may be reading and needs to hear your words! 🙂